Many of my readers have asked me to suggest them home remedies to treat dandruff. I suggested one of them one very simple remedy i.e coconut oil and camphor, then I thought I should write a full article on how to treat dandruff with home remedies so anyone who reads this can be benefited from it.
Dandruff is a very common problem and most of us are aware of it. The basic cause of dandruff is the shedding of dead skin cells from the scalp, when dead skin cells start forming clumps in scalp which becomes flaky, itchy and more visible then this is what is called dandruff.
Causes of Dandruff:
- Increased oil production.
- Not enough hair brushing is more likely to result in dandruff.
- Dry Scalp Skin- People with dry skin on scalp tend to get dandruff more often, so make sure your scalp is always nourished by oiling regularly.
- Shampooing Less- If you don’t shampoo enough, there is more risk of having dandruff as the dirt and dust particles set on your scalp which in turn converts into dandruff.
Home Remedies To Cure Dandruff Naturally:
1. Mix half a lemon in coconut oil and massage the roots of your hair with this mixture. Wash hair with a shampoo after 30 minutes.
2. Wash hair with sour curd or buttermilk. Sour curd is more better in treating dandruff then fresh curd.
3. Make a paste of gram flour, amla, reetha, shikakai, fuller’s earth (multani mitti) and curd. Apply this paste on your hair for two hours and then wash it off.
4. Make a powder of fenugreek seeds (methi). Mix 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds powder in 1 egg. Apply this paste on the scalp and rinse off after 40 minutes with a shampoo.
5. Mix 1 tsp of lemon juice in olive oil and apply it to the scalp, leave it overnight and wash hair with a shampoo in the morning.
6. Mix 2 tsp of beetroot juice, 1 egg and 1 tsp of lemon juice. Apply this mixture on the roots of your hair and wash it off after 30 minutes. Though a bit time-consuming but is very effective in treating dandruff.
7. Make a paste of one egg and one cup curd. Mix both the ingredients properly and apply it to the scalp. Wash it off after 30-40 minutes.
8. Try this unique and easy mask for dandruff – mix mustard seeds (rai) powder and fenugreek seeds powder with curd. Leave this on your hair for 30 minutes and wash it off with a shampoo.
9. Wash few neem leaves and boil in water till the water turns dark greenish in color. Wash hair with this water twice or thrice a week. Neem is antiseptic and cures all allergies of hair as well as skin.
10. Warm coconut oil and mix 2-3 camphor in it. Let it cool down for few minutes and massage your scalp with this twice or thrice a week. Make sure the camphor is fully dissolved in coconut oil, if not warm the oil more until the camphor fully mixes with the oil.
11. You can also try tea tree oil – one single treatment to cure dandruff completely. Mix ten drops of tea tree oil with your regular shampoo, massage this in the scalp, leave it for 15 minutes and then wash it off with warm water.
12. Black pepper is an effective anti-dandruff agent. Mix 1 tablespoon of black pepper powder in a bowl of curd, apply to the scalp. Keep it for 30 minutes and rinse off with a shampoo.